Bicarbonate of soda (or baking soda as it’s often referred to) has been used around the home for decades but has also now been shown to provide an effective gout treatment too.
What is bicarbonate of soda?
Bicarbonate of soda is a white crystalline compound that’s ground down and normally sold in local stores as a white powder. It’s used for all sorts of things around the home including in a range of cooking supplements, as an addition to feed for cattle, as a powerful and effective cleaner and now as a gout treatment as well.
It acts as an efficient neutralizer for acid and it’s this ability to reduce the PH of uric acid within the bloodstream (the main cause of gout) that makes it an efficient gout treatment. The downside is that, when used as a supplement within your diet, it can sometimes cause a range of side effects. As it can also exacerbate existing medical conditions including kidney disease, high blood pressure or heart disease, it’s strongly recommended that you consult with your medical practitioner or doctor before starting to take bicarbonate of soda as a dietary supplement in the treatment of gout and ensure also that you have your blood pressure checked regularly.
It’s also recognised that bicarbonate of soda can increase the impact of other drugs you may already be taking. It can enhance the beneficial qualities of NSAID’s for example, one of the main forms of medicinal gout treatment, but this is another good reason why you need to chat to your doctor before introducing baking soda into your gout diet.
There are a number of benefits to taking bicarbonate of soda as a gout treatment and some of these include:
- It acts in a way that allows the body to dispose of urate more quickly by increasing the solubility of uric acid within the bloodstream.
- Baking soda will enhance urine PH, helping to minimise urinary tract infection and the creation of kidney stones.
- It will assist in dissolving the needle-like shards that are responsible for the pain of gout when they are deposited in the joint tissue.
- It helps to increase the bodily fluid levels, in turn helping the kidneys to flush excessive uric acid from the body and providing an efficient gout treatment.
- Bicarbonate of soda raises the PH of the blood, enabling the body to hold higher levels of uric acid without it crystallizing and creating gout pain and swelling.
As everybody’s metabolism varies, the impact that any one gout treatment will have can change from one person to another. However, bicarbonate of soda has been effective in significantly improving the symptoms off gout for many sufferers when taken in appropriate quantities (try half a teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda, diluted in a glass of water and taken a few times each day).
However, although it’s effective as a gout treatment, we would repeat our advice that you consult with your doctor before adding it to your diet. This is not just for the reasons I’ve already mentioned, but because baking soda will also raise the quantity of sodium within your body and a suitable gout diet will therefore need to go some way towards compensating for this. Try lowering the amount of salt you consume elsewhere and drink plenty of water too.
By reducing the acidic levels within the body, baking soda can provide an effective gout treatment when incorporated within a wider and well balanced diet. Give it a go and see how you get on.